Areas of Practice
- General Advice
- Multiple Protection Analysis
- Domain Names
- Sanitary Registrations
- Trademarks and Patents Amendments
- Licenses and Technology Transfers
- Protection against Unfair Competition
- Master Degree in European Community Law. Université Libre de Bruxelles – Institut d’Etudes Européennes. Belgium. 1995
- Law Degree. Universidad Católica Andrés Bello. Venezuela. 1993
- Translation studies English-Spanish / Spanish- English. Berlitz School of Interpreters and Translators, 1993.
Patricia began her career as an intern in Hoet & Partners (former Hoet Pelaez Castillo & Duque) in 1990, and became a partner in 2003. She worked as a foreign legal counsel at Office Kirkpatrick (Belgium) from 1996 to 1998, and as an intern at Boden, De Bant, De Brauw, Jeantet & Uria (Belgium) in 1992.
- Management of intellectual property portfolios. Filing and follow-up of domestic and foreign marks, patents and copyrights, including search, presentation, opposition, cancellation and nullity actions, enforcement of clients’ rights against infringers, and defense against trademark infringement, trade dress infringement and unfair competition accusations.
- Drafting and negotiation of licenses and other trademarks agreements. Advice on mark risk management concerning mark ownership and licensing structures.
- Management of intellectual property-related matters in mergers and acquisitions.
Protection of well-known marks and owners’ rights over patents and marks for enforcement thereof before courts and processing of several types of injunctions in Venezuela.
- Advice on all matters concerning mark strategy, including development and application of strategic approaches to ownership, authorization, protection and defense of global marks considering the applicable business goals.
- Advice on the application of administrative injunctions and judicial procedures concerning intellectual property matters.
- Foreign legal counsel and expert witness in litigations in the USA in connection with mark licenses and trademark falsification relating to Venezuela and other Latin American jurisdictions.
- Chair of Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Committee of the International Bar Association 2014-2015
- Chair of the Latin America and Caribbean Subcommittee of the Parallel Imports Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA). 2012-2015
- European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
- MARQUES Association
- World Jurist Association
- Inter-American Federation of Lawyers
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI)he Intellectual
- Intellectual Property. Getting The Deal Through. Venezuela. 2013.
- Latin Lawyer Reference – Intellectual Property. Venezuela. 2013.
- World Trademark Review Year Book. Venezuela. 2012-2013.
- Copyright. Getting The Deal Through. Venezuela. 2011.
- Latin Lawyer Reference – Intellectual Property. Venezuela. 2010.
- Managing IP Assets in a Pinch. Managing Intellectual Property. 2009.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Distinguished Service Award. First Class. Colegio de Abogados de Caracas. Venezuela, 1999.
- Leading attorney in Venezuela. Who’s Who of Patent Lawyers. 2010-2013.
- Leading attorney in Venezuela. Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers. 2006-2013.
- Best Lawyers’ recommended attorney in Venezuela, 2009-2013.
- Ranked in Chambers Latin America 2015.